It took 4 flights and hours of standing around in immigration and baggage queues through China and Russia to get here, but I made it, safe, sound and thrilled.
My apartment is quite different from what I'm used to. It may the the oldest building I've ever lived in. I will post pictures of the keys once I get the camera out. They are quite antique looking. We've got old-school radiators for heating and only have hot water in the bathroom, which is gas heated, much like in Japan. There is no closet, wardrobe or dresser in our bedroom, which is going to mean a trip to Ikea if we decide to stay at this place (it may only be temporary) as living out of a box is not an option.
My impressions so far: it's cold, it's clean, groceries are reasonably priced. Coffee is very expensive (I just paid 4 bucks to sit here drinking a tiny coffee, but they had free wifi, which is why I am here, really).
I am very pleased with myself, that even with my nearly non-existent Russian, I was able to find a money changer, buy food, find a coffee shop and give directions to a coworker who is meeting me here shortly.
Funny things that happened today: 1) I got locked in my apartment because I couldn't find the button to unlock the door to the street. 2) It took me 10 minutes to figure out that there is also a scanner on the outside that you scan your key chain with to get back IN to your apartment. 3) I saw a man staggering around visibly drunk at 11am.
So far, a productive day...and it's only 2pm!
No comments:
Post a Comment