The Adventurous Life of a World Traveler

Friday, September 21, 2012

Busy busy bee


When they told me Piter is a working town, they weren't kidding! My schedule's gone from 16 teaching hours to 30 in a week, plus offers of private lessons and extra work are getting heavy enough for me to start passing them on to other people.

Life is starting to take on a sense of normalcy, though we're still in our temporary digs until the end of the month. Once we get into our permanent (ish, until the end of June, anyway) apartment, things will really start to settle down. I can't wait to have a gym membership, start buying my own kitchen stuff, stocking up the fridge with sauces for T to steal to dip his pizza in, and have people over for a beer or a coffee. It's in a prime location, you can see the Admiralty from the end of our street. I have been putting lots of kilometers on my pins since I have been here, so I am hoping that getting back in shape should be a much easier road here than in 'Nam.

Things that are awesome today:

Cottage cheese with jam mixed in (extra bonus point for mixing in a spoonful of sour cream)
CS meetings and making new friends
24 hour everything (gyms, supermarkets, sex shops, you name it!)
Pedestrian right-of-way
Borscht
Walking past buildings with a rich history
Becoming a TOEFL guru (I hope!)
Claw foot bathtubs
Late sunsets (for now, winter is approaching!)
Lots of work (cha-ching!)

Things that kinda suck:

Having to buy a winter coat soon
Scary alcoholics in bars/on the street (occasionally)
Learning Russian is HARD!

Overall assessment: WIN!

2 comments:

elaine said...

Authentic borscht and clawfoot bathtubs... nice!

We're looking at another teaching English in Asia adventure... four months in China! Not set in stone yet but we're getting excited about the possibility.

Jody Ruth Lear said...

Mmmm cottage cheese and jam sounds super yummy! I'm glad you're enjoying your new home :)