The Adventurous Life of a World Traveler

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Drunken D-bags!


So someone tried to mug T last night. 2 drunk guys in our courtyard, no less. Luckily one of out neighbors came to the rescue. We'll add that one to the "stuff that sucks" category. It wouldn't have been a problem if T hadn't walked into a construction project last week on his way home from work and fallen and cracked a couple of ribs, though. He's still pretty sore and fighting back is not as easy for him as it would normally be.

This has got me thinking..how would I have done in such a situation? I suppose I have gotten spoiled living in Asia for so long. Even in Vietnam, I never felt unsafe, aside from in traffic, though I did know a few people who were mugged there as well. A girl at work carriers pepper spray, which is probably a good idea and I am looking into getting a key chain with it myself. I wonder if I could find a self-defense class?

That's the bad news. In other, good news, work has increased to the point that I have to say no, I have enough on my plate. Our apartment is fantastic. The weather still mostly sucks, but it's not cold enough for winter jackets yet and there is still no sign of snow. I still feel like life here is generally very good. I have friends. I am still so much happier than I was this time 2 months ago.

Right now I am trying to decide what to do in January. Ideally I'd like to go home to visit, but we will have the whole of July and August off this year, so we're thinking about sending the whole summer at home, in which case, it'd be nice to go somewhere warm for the January break. I can afford to fly to Toronto in January, but not to Edmonton as well, and I am not going to make another trip home without a visit to my dad, so perhaps I'll save the money for the summer instead. We will see.

Things that are awesome:
My new flat
walking everywhere
joining the gym at the end of the month (so this is technically something that WILL BE awesome)
business lunch
cider at the Beer House with Anna
(slowly) learning some Russian
making money
planning short European trips
pie trucks

Things that are not-so-awesome:
drunken d-bags
working until 10pm :(
an hour commute to work

Overall, still positive! :D


5 comments:

Haddock said...

Your last line "Overall, still positive!" sums it all up and that is what matters at the end.

Jody Ruth Lear said...

Hope Trevor is okay! Send him some get wells from me! Glad you're happy :)

elaine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
elaine said...

When you do make it to Edmonton, let us know! We're not far from there and would love to see you... meet for coffee or a meal, perhaps?

Jenny said...

Definitely!