The Adventurous Life of a World Traveler

Saturday, April 10, 2010

New Life in Japan, Chapter 3

Lucky for me, I just got the internet back 3 weeks earlier than expected. Finally, I can reconnect with the people around me. Funny how we just got the internet what, 15 years ago or so...hard to believe people ever got by without it. How else can I chat with friends, look up menus and maps, or prepare lessons for my classes without actually having to write them all from scratch?

T and I have recently moved to the "big" city, Niigata, Japan. For those who've never heard of it (ie: everyone) it's a little city of about a million on the northern coast of Japan. This is where we've decided to call home, at least for the next 12 months. I hate moving myself, and though the weather is the pits and it's a 2 hour shinkansen ride to the nearest international airport, I am hopeful that my moving days will be over a while. I am ready to be in one stable place for as long as my itchy feet hold out.

It was a long and arduous process to get us here. Months of meetings and appointments trying to figure out our work situation and apartment. That plus the unexpected instance of our first apartment not being able to get hot water for at least a week and our spur of the moment move to a different one in the building so as to avoid having to go out for showers. Lucky for us there was another vacancy upstairs.

With all of that out of the way now I am on to my next project...me. Time for me to get back in shape, start being more organized with my everyday life, eating better, and last but not least, planning my trip home in August. Ahhhhh....vacation! Hard to believe it will have been 2 years since I have set foot on Canadian soil. Get ready party people, I am going to need a serious dose of Canadian reality and friends that have known me for more than 5 minutes...I need some time with my fam and my girls. S, get your dancin' shoes on girl!

Spring seems to finally have arrived here and am looking forward to cherry blossom viewing parties next week. This is the very best time of year in Japan. And with that, I'm off to enjoy some of it...xoxox

2 comments:

laroqcoqs said...

they're on baby girl, they're on! is T coming too???

Jenny said...

He's thinking about it, but I dunno...long trip, long jet lag, short vacay...we'll see...I'm hoping!