The Adventurous Life of a World Traveler

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Settling In

So far another week has passed, fairly uneventfully. My bike retrieval mission was successful and I am settling in to my classes nicely and starting to make some friends. The homesickness is slowly but surely easing. There are still a few adjustments that I am still getting used to however. Today I experienced not one, but 2 earthquakes. The second of which was quite minor, only a 1 on the Shindo scale
(hardly noticeable, except that I was sitting in front of my computer not doing a whole lot, so I noticed! The first one of the day was enough to wake me up, this one being a 3, however due to a night out of, ahem, socializing and getting to bed rather late, I lay in bed and thought, when stuff starts falling off the walls, I'll get up. Until then, I'll just lie here next to this load bearing beam and enjoy the ride. Does this mean I am becoming Japanese?
Gail, my new awesome friend from Philly, and I awoke hungry for pizza, however as neither of us has mastered the pizza-ordering lingo yet, and it was too late in Canada to call my usual coach in such matters (you know who you are) we decided that a trip to the grocery store was in order. Unfortunately it was also raining cats and dogs all day today, so Gail decided to brave the elements with the one umbrella we had between the 2 of us (hers). What a sweetie! Sadly we weren't able to make it out for our planned bike ride to Tokyo bay, however both our sore heads were probably thanking the uncooperative weather for sparing us having to do any physical activity today.
All in all it was well worth it as I also met a nice couple of England, Beth and Matt, who are quite lovely and I hope to get to see more of in future.
As usual, I am never good with getting out the camera, but here are a few pics of us out enjoying a relaxing evening of delicious Japanese food and beers :)



The funny key thingy I used to lock up my shoes





Gail, Beth and our MANY empty glasses




Lovely new friends





Gail and I after enjoying a few cold ones

No comments: