The Adventurous Life of a World Traveler

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Next Leg-Adventure: Japan!

It's hard to believe it's been about 9 months since my last post. You'd almost think I had fallen off the planet or something! Let's just say that I have been busy and distracted by a) a cute boy, b) a dislocated foot requiring a week-long hospital stay and 6 week recovery and c) a 2 month long vacation. Seeing as I am now on this adventure by myself with plenty of time on my hands, I should be able to post a little more regularly for this leg of the journey.

I have now been in Japan for about 3 weeks and am just starting to settle in. Though I am finding the homesickness a bit harder this time around, I know that since I am starting to make friends here and becoming busy with work that this will likely pass soon enough. Missing aforementioned boy is making things a bit harder this time but even that will (hopefully) become easier with time.

I spent an absolutely fantastic summer this year which included a trip home to Newfoundland, a whirlwind tour of Europe including Amsterdam, Paris and London (sadly didn't get to see much of London due to having only one night there), some time spent with friends, family, and new acquaintances in Halifax, a few short days in Toronto to see old friends, time spent in Barrie with the folks, and then a week in Edmonton with Dad, 'lil bro and sis. Two months sounds like a long vacation on paper, but the reality is that it was over far too soon and I am looking forward to seeing everyone again in the not too distant future.

So far I have not had too much adventuring since arrival. The first month or two are the hardest starting out as finances are at their least desirable after not working for the last 2 months (eek!) however another month or 2 and I should be back to my old self, soaking up all Japan has to offer. I have managed one short day trip to Tokyo so far, which was a fun filled day of shopping (mostly browsing really), walking and people watching. So far have scratched Harajuku and Shinjuku off my list and am hoping for another trip sometime soon. It is just a short train ride away as we are connected to the Toyko subway system out here in Chiba, though it does take about 40 minutes or so to get in. It's kind of like the Mississauga of Japan, as it were.

I also recently bought a bike and have been doing a little bit of exploring in this area. Made a new friend this week and she has advised me of a lovely biking trail leading to a Dutch style windmill (which I didn't even see in Holland, believe it or not) so I am hoping to check that out in the coming weeks. I had a bit of a misadventure today while out riding...managed to get myself lost and had to park my bike and take the train back as it was getting dark and I could not remember how to retrace my steps. Tomorrow's adventure: Bicycle Retrieval Japan! Argh! On a happier note however my mother would have been proud as I did not panic or lose my cool in usual Jenny style, but managed to hold in all but a very few blinked back tears of frustration when I accidentally got off at the wrong train stop and had to get back on. New mission: find map of Funabashi city-in English! (cue Mission Impossible theme song)

Also in sad news, I am sorry to report that I lost my grandmother a couple of weeks ago to cancer. She had been battling leukemia and the effects of chemo for the last year and a half just about, and was recently diagnosed with another type of cancer. I was very sad to hear of her passing, and even more upset to have not been able to be there for the service and to grieve with my family. She was a fantastic person, very giving, selfless, and had an amazing, unwavering faith that I deeply admired. She was another adventurer like me, and I am proud to know that this is one trait that I have inherited from her. I will miss you Nanny, but I know that you are in a better place, and no one deserves to be in paradise more than you. I love you...God Bless...

I'll leave you with a few pictures of the summer and my first few weeks here...I really must learn to get the camera out more. Until next time...Sayanora!



Me, under the Eiffel Tower-a dream come true!



Avec mon amour



After riding the terrifying Behemoth at Canada's Wonderland



With some of my favourite ladies!



Baby sis at the dinosaur museum in Drumheller



Delicious Coco Curry...I know SOMEONE'S jealous!



Near Shinjuku station, one of the busiest stations in the world, where nearly 4 million people pass through daily.

No comments: