The Adventurous Life of a World Traveler

Thursday, February 5, 2009

love/life

So much is going on these days I hardly know where to begin. I just received the wonderful news that the love of my life will be coming here for a visit on his way to his new gig in Niigata. I am glad he finally came around to my point of view that 9 months has been far too long and that it will surely be nice to see a smiling face at the end of such a long and arduous trek across the pacific, and most of the North American continent. Now I still have about 7 weeks to count down but I am very glad to know that the wait is almost over. I miss you T.

In other happenings, I have embarked yet again on a quest for self improvement. With a 10K race coming up at the end of March (the 29th to be exact) I am training my butt off as we speak. I have decided that this last 20 pounds I have been struggling with for years have had their time and I will be fiercely battling them until I WIN! I have joined a gym and have been going regularly, and did my longest run yet yesterday, at 6K. I should be in top fighting form by the time the Sakura Asahi Health Marathon begins at the end of next month.

On the subject of the gym however, I did experience yet another instance of discrimination when I was denied membership at my number one choice gym on the basis that I have a tattoo. Apparently just having one is grounds for denial, and even the offer to cover up all tattoos while on the premises did nothing to persuade them to allow me access. I was forced to go to gym number 2, with less of what I was looking for, but at least closer to home. There I was told that I must keep all tattoos covered at all times, and that even one lapse detected by the staff would result in my immediate expulsion without refund. All I can say is, LAME. I can neither shower nor use the pool, and am reduced to wearing very un-stylish turtlenecks to my aerobics classes. Nevertheless I am grateful to at least have a gym to call my own, after 3 previous failed attempts. (The first 2 I was denied on the basis that I don't speak Japanese) This really shocked me. Though I was prepared for the fact that tattoos would be banned, I was not expecting to be asked outright and then denied for simply HAVING them, and I thought that my willingness to be sensitive to my new culture would be sufficient. Apparently not. It amazes me that a person who has the drive and determination, who has made the step, which is often challenging for many people, to decide to improve themselves, their health, and overall quality of life, could be denied from doing so over something as insignificant as a few flowers on the back of one's neck. Oh Japan, please get with the times.

This month I also embarked on my second journey into the Tokyo underworld, with out most recent all-night club outing in Shibuya last weekend. We ended up again at Camelot, where we danced the night away and left at the crack of dawn, all danced out, exhausted, but happy and satisfied that we had indeed kicked Camelot's butt. We then proceeded to fall asleep on the train on the way home. Special thanks to Jude for making sure I got up and off the train at my stop and did not end up in Katsutadai, or worse, on the way back to Tokyo. I will include some of the pictures of the festivities here for you to enjoy.

Until next time folks, stay warm! Here's hoping for an early spring! :)





The "before" shots: Jude and Yuko






Sarah and I




I never knew Jude was such a wild man!




The "after" shot...oh dear!

2 comments:

Mommato2 said...

Hey there...good luck with the RUN - 10 k - I am impressed!

Jenny said...

Hey, thank you very much! I am gonna need it!